Monday, May 24, 2010

TALKING ABOUT IT
Where can I get the confidence to talk to others about God?



Scriptures To Consider:
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

2 Timothy 1:8-9

"But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
Acts 1:8

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.
Ephesians 3:20

Big T's Thought To Ponder:
The power, strength, courage and confidence to witness to the good news of Jesus Christ and the good things He has done in our lives doesn't come by our own strength, it comes from our Helper and Guide, the Holy Spirit.

I was recently asked to teach a bible study at my church and I had prepared a wonderful study that I saw Dr. Charles Stanley share on temptation. I had really invested quite a bit of time putting it together and adding my own life experiences to it. Again, I literally stayed up until 2am the night before, making sure everything was just right and that I was perfectly prepared to speak about temptation. It was polished and ready for delivery on Wednesday night!

You have to understand a couple other significant details; regardless of all the polishing and practising, I always seem to lack confidence to get up in front of a crowd and speak about God. Don't ask me way. I can get up in front of thirty senior engineers from NASA and talk about the damaging effects of static electricity, but for some reason I just get as nervous as can be when it comes to speaking about God in front of a crowd of any size.

Well, it was Wednesday night and sure enough I was just a ball of nerves. I had asked a brother from church to help me with the actual delivery of the message on temptation; he agreed to help me. It was just a couple hours before our class and I received a call from my brother letting me know that he won't be able to help me because he was called away on an emergency. Wonderful I thought to myself, now what?

Within a minute or two after the wonderful news that I was on my own, another brother in Christ had called and said that He would like to support me by attending the service, he is also a Pastor. I felt immediately relieved and at ease, asking if he would be willing to help me with my presentation... he agreed. Great!

I made sure that I arrived to the church in plenty of time and I spent the better part of an hour drafting my study outline onto a gigantic white board in our study hall. It was looking good and my confidence was growing moment by moment. My Pastor friend Dave called and ask if I had started, and I explained that the white board was complete and I was feeling pretty darn good about everything. "I'm on my way to the church", he replied!

When Dave arrived, he looked a this white board that had been perfectly crafted, every detail present and the stage was set. He said, "can I be honest with you?" I replied with hesitance, sure... He responded, "you didn't write this study did you?" No, it is a study from Dr. Charles Stanley, I replied... Dave said as he points to the white board, "that isn't you and it certainly doesn't illustrate the passion that you have for Jesus Christ, not the passion I read in your morning devotionals... I think you should scrap it and consider teaching on something else tonight". What? "I can't, I replied!!!" "This is all I have prepared, I just can't do it Dave"

Dave went on to share his reasoning why he thought I should be teaching about what I have passion for, and what I write about each morning in my daily devotionals of encouragement.

I let him know that his idea was wonderful, but he was about a week too late in his recommendation. "There is no possible way I am teaching on anything other than temptation", I replied with some doubt. He kept at me until the point I was wishing: 1). that I wouldn't have ask for his advise; 2). that he would just go away; 3). that a miracle of God would come and I wouldn't have to teach at all.

When my so called friend Pastor Dave began to quote the truths of God's Word, I began to well up inside and I knew at that moment in time I needed to share a different message that night. I also knew that at this juncture, any confidence that I had to teach about temptation was shot and out the window anyway!

It was 5 minutes until show time and Dave just erased my entire white board! My stomach dropped to my knees, satan was giving me every reason to doubt myself and be discouraged... Great, now what I replied? Dave said, "teach from your heart, teach about that book marker you have setting there". The book marker was entitled, "Who I am in Christ"... The group was starting to fill the room and I was a complete and utter mess! I told Dave that I had to take a quick walk outside.

I walked outside and considered jumping in my truck and going anywhere but back into that study hall! Instead I laid across the of hood of my truck and prayed and cried out for the strength, the courage and the words to teach something that would honor and glorify my Father. I remember saying, "God if you don't give me the words right now, I am going to get up there and I am going to be a babbling idiot!"

Let me tell you something. I spoke and taught from a book marker that night and really couldn't begin to exactly tell you what it was I said, but I can witness to the fact that God gave me His immediate strength, His courage; weird sense of peace and calmness! He gave me every single word that came from my mouth, they were surely given to me by the power of the Holy Spirit Himself!

It is my deepest wish that everyone reading this devotion could have a brother or sister in Christ like Dave, who out of pure love and God's goodness saw Christ in me, when I couldn't see the forest through the trees. We are to edify and encourage each other; to challenge and hold each other to a higher standard and to sharpen each other out of Love for the glory of Jesus Christ. Thanks Dave!

It was the most freeing and awesome experience of this journey and I had been blessed with what could only be explained as God's Divine Faithfulness. Paul describes my night perfectly in 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, he says:

"And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5

God's Promises:
All that the Father has is mine... I tell you the truth, my Father will give you anything you ask for in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy will be the fullest possible joy.
John 16:15, 23-24

Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks.
Philippians 4:6

I love the Lord, because He listens to my prayers for help. He paid attention to me, so I will call to Him for help as long as I live.
Psalm 116:1-2

We Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Us!
blog comments powered by Disqus