Sunday, April 25, 2010

SPIRITUAL NOURISHMENT
How can I nourish my spiritual life?
God's Response:
"But sir, you don't have a rope or a bucket," [the Samaritan woman] said, "and this well is very deep. Where would you get this living water? An besides, do you think you're greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us this well? How can you offer better water than he and his sons and his animals enjoyed?" Jesus relied, "Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life." "Please, sir," the women said, "give me this water! Then I'll never be thirsty again, and I won't have to come here to get water."
John 4:11-15
Our Takeaway:
Many spiritual needs parallel physical needs. Just as our bodies hunger and thirst, so do our souls. Our souls need spiritual food and water. The woman at the well confused the two kinds of water, perhaps because no one had ever talked with her about spiritual hunger and thirst before. We would not think of depriving our bodies of food and water when we are hungry and thirsty. Why, then, would we deprive our souls? The living Word, Jesus Christ, and the written Word, the Bible, can refresh our hungry and thirsty souls.
God's Promise:
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Big T's Thought To Ponder:
As I read this I was reminded of the old saying, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I think that a similar approach applies to our heart and minds. The fuel that we give them each morning greatly affects the remainder of our day. Think of time spent in God's Word, prayer and meditation as spiritual nourishment for your relationship with our Savior Jesus Christ.
[David] began his day with God. In Psalm 63 he describes seeking the Lord early. He woke up ravenous for His creator, hungering and thirsting for His closeness in a morning relationship. After filling the appetite of his soul with the fullness of God, he broke out in praise and thanksgiving to the Lord. Even as night came he was still thinking about and talking to his Heavenly Father as he laid his head down.
I wrote a week or so ago about "going steady with EDDY", this is key to satisfying our hearts and souls each morning. Just imagine each day filled with the joy and gratitude to Jesus Christ.
I do it earlier that I know anyone in my house is willing to get up for anything, for any reason; I do it daily because if I don't, I know that I won't, even know I have good intentions and want to, time just slips away; I do it diligently because it is just like breakfast, if I don't get it, I can't be satisfied for that day; I do it yielding and rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ.
It is completely possible to have a David type relationship with God when we set apart the beginning of our day to spend with our Savior, listening to Him speak to us through His Word and talking to Him in our prayers. Paul's instruction is clear, that our blessing will be even richer when we stay mindful of God throughout our day and into the night by "praying without ceasing" and by "setting out minds on things of above." - contemplating who He is and how He is working in our lives. Seeking the Lord not only satisfies and fills our empty souls; it also increases our hunger for more of Him.
Colossians 3:2; I Thessalonians 5:17
Do you find it a struggle to set aside time with the Lord each morning? Any habit takes time to develop, so does any worthwhile relationship, it is done in baby steps, not grand overwhelming resolutions. Start today - take 15 minutes just a few days a week to start and watch the Lord begin to satisfy your soul and increase you hunger for Him.
blog comments powered by Disqus