Thursday, June 24, 2010

DISCIPLINE
Why is God punishing me? Doesn't He love me?

Scripture To Consider:
Joyful are those you discipline, Lord, those you teach with your instructions.
Psalm 94:12

[God said,] "My child, don't make light of the Lord's discipline, and don't give up when He corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes each one He accepts as His child."
Hebrews 12:5-6

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of His reproof, for the Lord reproves Him whom He loves, as a father the son in whom He delights.
Proverbs 3:11-12

Big T's Thought To Ponder:
God disciplines us for our own good, similar to why we discipline our own children. Sometimes God has to get our attention and brings affliction or troubles into our lives to teach us something valuable, something to help us grow and find our way back to Him.

To test our faith, to correct us; to guide us along the lighted path He has provided us in order to give us His wisdom and train us up for the next thing or place He will call us in order that we can "walk in the good works that He has prepared before hand", it says in Ephesians 2:10.

It's really ironic that this mornings subject is about discipline and the affliction that God allows into our life, as this is exactly what my pastor talked about last night. He shared with us some timeless principles on the affliction illustrated in the book of Lamentations 3

1. Affliction should be endured with hope in God's deliverance.
2. Affliction is temporary and should be tempered by compassion and love.
3. God does not delight in our affliction.
4. Affliction can come because of injustice that God sees and does not approve of it.
5. Affliction is always in relationship to God's sovereignty.
6. Affliction can ultimately be brought on because of sin.
7. Affliction should accomplish the greater good of turning God's people back to Him.

When I have trials and troubles in my life, I always turn to several Bible truths and promises of God and He has always given me peace and comfort through them. My memorization verses for this week is a pretty good one to start with.

God's Truth - Promises - Instruction:
"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who has promised is faithful."
Hebrews 10:23

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you; When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you."
Isaiah 43:1-2

"The Lord's loving kindnesses indeed never ceases, For His compassion's never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion, "says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him." The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the person who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:22-25

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it more abundantly"
John 10:10

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance."
James 1:2-3

In the world we will have afflictions and we should grab hold of them as a means of testing our faith and the blessing of strength and endurance. For God is faithful, He has overcome the world and in Him we have peace; He has redeemed us and we are His own children; He will not allow the troubles of this world overcome us; as He will give us everything we need brand new each morning and He will provide it to us abundantly! - We serve a Mighty Loving God!

Ask God Today How You Are Serving Him?

blog comments powered by Disqus